Sunday, June 28, 2015

Starting Up Early

Waking up early has never been my strength, which is a shame because I love breakfast. Breakfast, I strongly believe, is the best meal of the day. But perhaps I feel that way because I'm usually late for it. Lately, however, I have come to find that one of the of benefits not being able to sleep at night is that you are awake just in time for breakfast (and sunrise!). And that, turns out, is perhaps the best thing of not sleeping (The worst thing? The upcoming early onset dementia.).

And yes, I'm fully aware that the rules can be broken and that breakfast can be eaten during lunch, or even dinner (Denny agrees). But let's be honest with ourselves, eating meals out of order is not as fun as we think it is. Unless you are stoned, or drunk! When that's the case you may find yourself eating a cheese burger in the middle of the night, shirtless, and on your bathroom floor. All while your daughter records it. Fun!

But, right now, I'm not drunk, and sadly I'm not stoned either.

So, loyal to the spirit of breakfast, as I tried to figure out what to eat that wasn't eggs, eggs, or eggs (stick around and you will find out just how varied are my breakfasts...), after looking at my food tracking app that said I was short on fiber, I knew what to have!

Cereal! And fruits!

Boring, I agree, and also unworthy of an essay. But that's why I added toast, honey, and butter (and a pinch of salt!)!

Still boring? Yeah, well, that's me in a nutshell.

But, something about the lightness and freshness of a bowl of crunchy flakes of bran, mixed with chunks of banana and raspberry with some really cold milk poured over it all felt just perfect. And it was. But it wasn't enough, and that's where bread and butter came into play, with some honey drizzled on top along with a pinch of salt.

Maybe some mornings are meant to be simple, light, and full of sugar. Sugar? Eh, I'll worry about it when I lose my first toe, in the mean time? They wiggle with joy and complete ignorance of their incoming sugar induced fate.

 Really, not a bad way to begin the last Sunday of June 2015.


No comments:

Post a Comment