Sunday, January 18, 2015

Turning 30


Been thinking a lot about turning 30, in many ways, and as it has been for a long time, turning a year older is pretty meaningless to me, it is just like any day. Then again, most important dates that used to mean something mean a lot less as I get older, mostly because there has been a tendency in later years to chase a goal, a goal that must be fulfilled at all costs.

But, I have been thinking a lot about turning 30, mostly in terms of looking back at how the last decade of my life has been, realizing that my body and my mind is a lot different now than it was when I was turning 20, which, logically means that the years to come will be much different than the years that have passed.

One thing that will never change though, and that in the contrary gets reinforced as the years pass is my desire to be in control and to get what I want when I can. And so is the case of my birthday dinner. It was proposed by my family that they wanted to take me out to eat, then they got lazy and said they wanted to grill some chicken and call it a day.

Now, I appreciate that anything is done in my name to celebrate me, but, I can't help it and get picky when the topic is food. Food is the most exciting thing I can experience, and while I have not really celebrated my birthday in years, if I am going to do it this year, I thought, I want it to be special.

So, I proposed that for my birthday I would simply cook for everyone and I was not going to take a no for an answer. And so, I treated my family and myself to some home made sushi and my second try at making miso soup from scratch. To my surprise, it was some pretty decent miso.

So, here it goes, for 30 more! And may this year or the next ten bring me the guts to learn how to cut fish perfectly for other styles of rolls. At least, in my 30s, I finally got to make a decent miso, something I can't say I ever got to do in my 20s.



No comments:

Post a Comment